Welcome to the Greene County Health & Wellness Foundation
Greene County Memorial Hospital Foundation (GCMHF) was formed as the result of the sale of Greene County Memorial Hospital in October, 2005 to Essent Healthcare, a for-profit organization based in Nashville TN. The hospital traces its roots to the years 1904 and 1905 when two Waynesburg physicians, Dr. Harry C. Scott and Dr. Frank Ullom, opened the first hospital in Greene County.
By 1907 the hospital earned accreditation by the Joint Commission on Accreditation of Hospitals and the Department of Public Welfare in recognition of its programs and professionalism. Twenty years later the Waynesburg Hospital officially changed its name to Greene County Memorial Hospital and began operating as a non-profit corporation.
GCMH continued to grow in response to the needs of the community and with the support of the Auxiliary, built a completely modern three-story facility. The 88-bed hospital officially opened in February, 1938.
Over the next three decades the hospital built additions to the original structure and added services that expanded its impact on the community. After extensive analysis and a major fund raising campaign, a five-story addition to the hospital was completed in June, 1976. The next two decades saw more growth and lead to the development of two more major projects; a skilled nursing unit for transitional care opened in December, 1992, and the Wellness Center, a comprehensive rehabilitation and fitness facility was dedicated in June, 1999.